Advice sheet on oily hair:
- Why do I have oily hair?
- What can I do about it?
- Do’s and don’ts
- Specific natural ingredients for oily hair
- The Yoroshe tip
You have oily hair when your scalp produces excess sebum.
What is sebum?
A substance produced by the sebaceous glands in the scalp, added to sweat, it becomes an oily film that protects the scalp from drying out and makes the hair fiber waterproof.
This gives the hair a shiny and supple appearance. When there is too much of it, the hydrolipidic film will clog the scalp and suffocate it, making the hair dull and greasy.
Several factors can be responsible for an excess of sebum, for some of these causes, natural solutions of prevention exist for others it will be necessary to go to consult a specialist.
Here are the different causes:
- The hereditary factor
- Certain health problems
- Certain medications
- Emotional shock
- Heat from hair dryers
- Aggression of the scalp by certain shampoos
What can you do about it?
What not to do:
- Do not use water that is too hot
- Do not use a hair dryer at too high a temperature
- Do not touch your hair too much
- Do not rub your hair with a towel or brush it roughly
What to do
- Try to space out your shampoos as you go along
- Do not over-stimulate the sebaceous glands
- Use a round brush with rounded teeth or bristles and style gently
- Use a mild shampoo with a pH between 5.5 and 6.5
- Don’t forget to use a “detox” shampoo or apply a clay mask to cleanse your scalp
- Adopt a balanced diet
- Apply your conditioner on the lengths, avoid the roots
Specific natural ingredients for oily hair
- Neutral henna / Ghassoul / Green clay / Orange powder, Marshmallow powder / Sidr
- Bergamot / Lemon / Atlas Cedar / Grapefruit / Clary Sage / Laurel / Tea Tree / Lavender
Rinse water / Infusion:
- Rose water / Lemon
- Aloe Vera gel / Coffee grounds / Yogurt
- Apply a water purifier to your shower head to rinse your hair
- We tend to forget to scrub our scalp, but be careful not to overdo it
- Use silk or silk satin to sleep or cover your hair
- Wash your hair accessories regularly